An investigation into the death of Fiorentina captain Davide Astori has begun.
Yesterday morning, the footballing world was met with the awful news that the 31-year old had been found dead in his hotel room where Fiorentina were preparing for the Serie A game against Udinese.
Initial reports said that the centre-back had died in his sleep as a result of a heart attack which stemmed from natural causes. But with it being standard procedure, criminal proceedings have been opened.
“We have opened criminal proceedings over the hypothesis of manslaughter,” Antonio de Nicolo, Udine chief prosecutor, said when speaking to Radio Rai.
“For now, it’s been brought against unknown persons. We’ve arranged an autopsy, which will be performed soon.”
De Nicolo stressed that there is no further information at this point and they are simply fulfilling their duty to investigate the tragedy.
“We have a duty to ascertain whether Astori’s death was a tragic fatality of if someone knew something,” he continued, in an interview with ANSA.
“For now, no-one is responsible, neither is there anyone who seems as if they could answer anything.The start of this judicial procedure allows us to identify any responsibility on the part of anyone.”
An autopsy is to take place on Tuesday morning, as reported by ANSA.
(h/t Football Italia)