The 18th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Award started last Saturday and ended Sunday dawn. Joe Mettle swept three awards on the night including the top most award Artist of the Year.
Here are twenty moments you might have missed on the night!
- Most celebrities that made it to the red carpet had their outfits designed by Ghanaians. Except Edem who’s Adidas outfit from South Africa and Vision DJ who wore a TM Lewin suit.
- Afriyie confirmed Wutah is back together.
- Light went out for close to two hours.
- EL on the red carpet kissed host Berla Mundi on the cheek and neck.
- Nana Ama McBrown predicted the two hour black out on the red carpet.
- Telecast resumed around 10.55PM
- Worlasi, who castigated the awards earlier made a U-Turn to perform 100% with M.anifest on the night.
- Shatta Wale’s Dancehall King was used to introduce Kwame Fakye who came to introduce Medikal and EL’s performance.
- Papa Yankson dedicated his Life Time Achievement Award to CK Mann.
- M.anifest won an award with #GodMC; his Diss song to Sarkodie
- The winner of the Sark and M.anifest battle was finally decided. M.anifest won the Best Rapper of the Year award in a category that featured Sarkodie, Flowking Stone and many other Ghanaian rappers.
- For those watching at home sound came back at 12.20PM
- Rapper Kofi Kinaata won Highlife artist of the Year
- Shatta Wale’s Taking Over was played on the night after EL’s performance.
- EL won an award with Kaa Buame – a song he made for critics of his Artist of the Year win in 2016.
- 13 Gospel acts performed 3 songs.
- Medikal who walked into the auditorium in a trench coat, his hot celeb partner Sister Derby and seven nomination went home with no plaques but ‘One Kalyppo; Two biscuits’.
- Sarkodie made Strongman open for him before his performance with RunTown.
- Fancy Gadam won the Best New Artist ahead of Medikal.
- Joe Mettle became the first ever Gospel act to win the top award at the VGMAs. Daughters of Glorious Jesus won the artist of the Year award in 2004 but that category was not the award of the scheme.
Bonus: Ras Kuuku stormed out of the ceremony screaming Thieves! Thieves! because Stoebwoy won the Dancehall song and artist of the Year plaques! 😉